SCOTTSBLUFF - The Theatre Arts program at Western Nebraska Community College will kick off the Spring 2021 Performing & Visual Arts season with a virtual production of "Night Witches" by local playwright Christy Fredrickson.
The show will air for free on WNCC's official YouTube and Facebook channels on Friday, February 26 at 7 p.m.
"Night Witches" is a piece about strength, determination, and perseverance, following the Russian all-female 588th Night Bomber Regiment during World War II. The production, from set design to the cast is filled with local talent and collaboration.
"This production is particularly special because it was brought to fruition by so many local talents," WNCC Theatre Arts Director Francesca Mintowt-Czyz. "It involves another extremely large cast of 22 actors, varying in age and experience, and epitomizes the power theatre has to bring people together. Not only was the play written by local playwright, Christy Fredrickson, but we had two incoming freshman from Mitchell and Gering High Schools play pivotal roles."
Mintowt-Czyz and Fredrickson began discussing the production after seeing it as a One Act at Morrill High School last spring. Wanting to transform it to a full-length piece, students in the Survey of Theatrical Design class were tasked with designing the set. The crew even borrowed a real plane, from the Aviation Maintenance program in Sidney. WNCC Visual Arts Instructor Yelena Khanevskaya, who was born in Russia, helped the cast develop language skills and dialect to support the production.
"Night Witches" is the first of eight scheduled performances for the Spring 2021 season. WNCC is working to host live, in-person events when possible. Capacity limits will be in place at in person events. Livestream or pre-recorded virtual performances will be utilized for events not held in-person. The Faculty Recital on March 5 and the Spring Band Concert on April 23 will be pre-recorded events. The full schedule can be seen below:
- Faculty Recital | All Performing Arts Programs | March 5 | Virtual
- Music in the Schools (Collaboration with Bluffs Middle School) | Instrumental Music | March 19 | Livestream from Judy Chaloupka Theater
- Spring Gala | Vocal Music | March 26 & 27 | Gering Civic Center & Livestream
- "A Midsummer Night's Dream" | Theatre Arts | April 16-18 | Judy Chaloupka Theater
- Spring Band Concert | Instrumental Music | April 23 | Virtual
- Honors Recital | Instrumental & Vocal Music | April 30 | Judy Chaloupka Theater & Livestream
- Jump, Jive, & Swing | Instrumental Music | May 2 | Gering Civic Center
For a full schedule visit wncc.edu/performingarts. Times and attendance guidelines are subject to change due to the COVID-19 pandemic.