By Chadron Police Department
July 4th is nearing and the Chadron Police Department would like to remind everyone of the City Ordinances pertaining to fireworks.
Within the City of Chadron, permissible fireworks can be discharged starting on June 24th and ending on July 5th.
· June 24th through July 3rd permissible fireworks can be discharged from 8:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m.
· July 4th permissible fireworks can be discharged from 8:00 a.m. until 1:00 a.m. on July 5th.
It is unlawful to discharge fireworks within 300 feet of a fireworks stand, gas station, or in a public park. Fireworks may be discharged at other times upon obtaining a special permit approved by the City Council. All local vendors will have what is considered to be permissible fireworks.
While enjoying fireworks and the holiday, remember these safety tips:
· Only use fireworks as intended, and according to their instructions.
· Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
· Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities. Parents don't realize that young children suffer injuries from sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees - hot enough to melt some metals.
· Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks.
· Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.
· Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
· Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
· Light fireworks one at a time, then move back quickly.
· Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
· After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire.
· Report inappropriate or misuse of fireworks to the Chadron Police Department @ 432-0510
You may check out further tips by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission at https://www.cpsc.gov/Safety-Education/Safety-Education-Centers/Fireworks
Enjoy! And have a safe and enjoyable Independence Day!!