News Release Nebraska Department of Transportation
During the month of August 2021, nine people were killed in traffic crashes on Nebraska roadways, according to data collected by the Nebraska Department of Transportation.
- These 9 fatalities occurred in 9 fatal crashes.
- Five of the six vehicle occupants killed were not using seatbelts, one was using a seatbelt, and zero had seatbelt usage marked as unknown.
- Five of the fatalities were in rural locations*.
- There were zero fatalities on the interstate, one on other highways, and eight on local roads.
- One of the fatalities was a pedestrian.
- Two of the fatalities were motorcyclists.
- There were 25 fatalities in August of 2020.
- Only 34 of the 116 vehicle occupants killed during 2021 were using seatbelts.
- The Federal Highway Administration definition for urban is an area with a population of 5,000 or more.